Latest Event Updates
Your task is to pitch a new newspaper to convince your investor (Mrs Black) that you are going to be able to make it work and make money. There will be rewards for the best group.
In your pitch you must include the following:
- Name of paper
- Initial target circulation
- Online presence
- Social media presence
- Target age group
- Target audience demographic
- Which media conglomorates might you consider working with
- Political affiliation
- Mission statement
- Cost of paper
- Cost of advertising (full page colour, one insertion)
You must justify your choices with evidence from the ‘real world’ newspaper market.
You must present your work in a Pecha-kucha format
- 20 visual slides
- 20 second each
- You talk over the top – see the video above
For presentation on Thursday’s lesson.
Where it came from…
The role of advertising…
(Answer the following in full sentences, using the evidence from the data sheet to back up your answers.)
- The Sun has the largest circulation, why do you think this is?
- Why is the readership figure so much bigger in most cases than the circulation figure?
- Which of the newspapers charges for its online content? How do you know this?
- Why do you think that the Daily Mail has the most Facebook followers?
- Why do you think that the Guardian has the most Twitter followers?
- Most papers’ print readers are over 65 years old, why do you think this is?
- Looking at when the newspapers were established, do you think it is better to be established longer? Why?
- Looking at the last column, why do you think the Telegraph charges as much as it does for advertising?
- Looking at all the papers, and thinking about how the Independent has already stopped printing, which of the papers do you think is the most likely to go out of business or stop making a print edition next? Why?
- You are thinking about starting a new newspaper, where is there a gap in the market for you to fill, who would you market it to and what would its main selling point be?
Your task sheet and a really helpful sheet…